Position Title: Academic Advisor (Reg FT 12 month, with benefits)
Department: Registration and Advisement
Campus: Allegheny Campus
Additional Information: This position will remain open until filled. However, in order to ensure consideration for an interview, please submit your completed application, cover letter and resume by no later than February 25 2022. The College cannot guarantee that application materials received after this date will be considered or reviewed.
This is a regular full-time tenure-track 12 month position with benefits.
Benefits: CCAC offers an exceptional benefits package. Highlights include an excellent health plan with very low out-of-pocket expense network option, generous time off and holiday pay, a 403b retirement plan with up to 10% employer match or other options through the State’s retirement defined benefit pension system, free employee parking, public service (student) loan forgiveness eligible employer, and employer paid benefits including group life insurance, short-term and long-term disability insurance, and flexible spending accounts.
Work Hours: Tuesday - Saturday; 8:30 am - 4:30 pm. Additional hours, including evening and weekend hours, may be needed to meet the needs of the department.
Salary Grade: Per Contract
Job Category: Faculty/Counselor/Librarian/Ed Tech/Academic Advisor
Employment Type: Regular Full-Time
Job Slot: 2706
Job Open Date: 1/21/2022
Job Close Date:
General Summary: Under the supervision of the Director of Registration and Advisement or other designated supervisor, meet with and advise new, prospective and current students concerning their college studies and academic and educational needs, and provide appropriate support, guidance, information and direction to assist students to achieve their academic goals. Advisors engage students holistically, including career choices, curriculum options, majors, course planning, College policies and procedures, personal assistance and referral to community services, and academic support.
Requirements: Bachelor's Degree required. Master's Degree and/or academic preparation in counseling, higher education administration, student services, or other field allied with programs offered at CCAC preferred. Prior work experience and/or demonstrated familiarity with student issues and the ability to interact with students with diverse needs.
1. Participate in mandatory training sessions, attend professional development workshops and activities as required, and assist in development of training materials and programs for faculty advisors.
2. Interview students concerning their readiness for college studies, their choice of major, their need for developmental coursework, their possible transfer to a four-year school, and the basic differences between the high school and college experience.
3. Maintain knowledge of and disseminate information to students regarding support services available on campus and across College, and direct students to such services, as needed or appropriate.
4. Provide advising services in the College advising centers and assist the directors of registration and advisement and/or other supervisory personnel in providing prompt assistance to students regarding program requirements and the registration process.
5. Develop academic schedules for new and continuing students utilizing the Degree Audit and other materials developed by the campus; provide students with information on all academic policy questions.
6. Advise students on general transfer information and refer students to appropriate transfer personnel.
7. Advise students changing their major by checking courses that apply to the new major (degree audit) and completing the appropriate paperwork.
8. Meet with students applying for graduation (utilizing Degree Audit) to assess graduation status.
9. Meet with probation students and other at-risk students and direct students, as necessary, to a counselor, success coach, or other student development professional.
10. Use on-line student system to research student's transcript, availability of classes, and calendar information.
11. Evening and/or Saturday advising may be required.
12. Perform other related duties as required or assigned.
Clearances: Current criminal record/child abuse clearances will be required if offered the position and in order to be employed at the College. The three clearances are Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Clearance, Pennsylvania State Police Criminal Records Check, and Federal Bureau of Investigations (FBI) Criminal Background Check. The College has provided instructions on how to obtain these clearances and are available here.
Vaccination: Effective November 1, 2021, as a condition of employment, all new employees of Community College of Allegheny County must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and provide proof of their vaccination or have received an approved exemption to be an employee. Prospective employees who are offered a position can request an exemption from this vaccine requirement for religious or documented medical reasons. Exemption requests will be reviewed for approval on a case-by-case basis by the Office of Human Resources.