Instructions for Obtaining Clearances Required by the Pennsylvania Child Protective Services Law
This document provides instructions for obtaining the three clearances listed below:
1.) Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Clearance
2.) Pennsylvania State Police Criminal Records Check -and-
3.) Federal Bureau of Investigations (FBI) Criminal Background Check
THE ORIGINAL OF ALL REQUIRED CLEARNACES MUST BE PRESENTED FOR REVIEW AND VERIFICATION. ORIGINALS WILL BE RETURNED TO THE EMPLOYEE AFTER VERIFICATION.
PENNSYLVANIA CHILD ABUSE HISTORY CLEARANCE INSTRUCTIONS
Visit the Child Abuse History Clearance Online: https://www.compass.state.pa.us/CWIS
Follow these steps (Note that these may change as the website is modified):
1. Select “Create a New Account” and complete the requested information. Note: The “Keystone ID” is a username that you create. The system will send you a temporary password via email.
2. Login with temporary password and change the password. Click on option “Access My Clearance,” then click on “Create clearance application,” selecting reason “School Employment.”
Note: When entering Social Security number, it may be difficult to see the last number when you entered it, but later confirmation should show the full number. Please be aware that you will need to know every address where you have resided since 1975, every person that you lived with during that time, their relation to you, and their current age.
3. When asked if you are a school employee governed by public school code as shown below, please designate “School Employee Governed by Public School Code...”
4. Submitting your clearance application online will give you immediate access to your results or the status of your results if your results cannot be processed immediately. Make sure you print and retain a copy of the clearance for your records.
5. You will need to submit payment of $13.00 for processing. You should receive a certificate either online or mailed to your home. Please retain the receipt of payment.
EFFECTIVE November 28, 2017, the Pennsylvania Department of Human Services is utilizing a new provider, IdentoGO, (previously Cogent Systems) to process fingerprint-based FBI criminal background checks. The fingerprint based background check is a multiple step process.
1. Applicants may register online at: https://uenroll.identogo.com/
o Enter the service code 1KG756 and select “go”.
o Select “schedule or manage appointment” link.
o Complete all of the required personal Information. Select “no” to the question if you have an authorization code (coupon code).
o Select from a drop down menu on what form of identification document you will bring to the site for fingerprinting.
o Select the location and choose a date and time for an appointment (preferred) or select walk-in.
o An email confirmation will be sent to you. It is suggested to also print the confirmation page for your records.
o Make sure you take the photo identification you identified on the site with you to the location.
o $23.85 fee is paid at the site where fingerprinting is completed.
o You can also cancel an appointment or reschedule if necessary.
2. Go to one of the designated locations to get fingerprinted.
3. Eligibility letters are mailed directly to the applicant to turn in at the requesting employer. This process is expected to take 10 days or less. If you have not received your results within 2 weeks, contact the Department of Human Services at 877-371-5422.
4. The FBI fingerprinting process is typically what takes the longest to receive the results. Once you have all three clearance results/certifications, please stop in with your original clearances at the HR Office at Office of College Services or at a HR office campus location during designated office hours.
For questions, you can contact IdentoGo at 855-845-7434.
Applicants can also go to the Pennsylvania Access to Criminal History website and apply for their criminal record check online with the Pennsylvania State Police at: https://epatch.state.pa.us/Home.jsp
Effective December 1, 2017, a fee of $22.00 will be required to process the request. Results are returned immediately (if no record exists).
1. Click Submit a New Record Check under the Credit Card Users heading.
2. Read and accept the terms, and continue to follow the instructions to submit your background check.
3. If no record exists, you can immediately print out your clearance certificate.
4. It is important to retain a print out with the control number and date of request, and present a copy to the HR Office or Campus Business Office.
5. Please retain the receipt of payment.
If you have questions about the Pennsylvania State Police Request for Criminal Record Checks form (SP4 164), please call: (717) 783-9973 or toll free 1-888-783-7972.
Where do I show my clearances once obtained?